Next week is one of the biggest days of the year for many charities and nonprofits across Omaha. While Omaha Gives! is a year round online giving platform, once a year they dedicate an entire 24 hours to giving as much as possible to support the work of public 501(c)(3) nonprofits in the metro Omaha area.
Omaha Gives! is organized by the Omaha Community Foundation to grow philanthropy in Douglas County and Pottawattamie counties. The minimum donation is $10 and there is no maximum.
This year if you take part in donating to charities and nonprofits, remember to think of Outlook Nebraska. At Outlook Nebraska, we have but one goal that drives everything we do: to positively impact everyone who is blind or visually impaired. We want to prove that those without sight or those losing their sight are capable of working, playing and living life to the fullest.
Outlook Nebraska was founded in the early 2000 as a not-for-profit organization with just four blind associates producing paper products, a clear vision for the future and determination to establish and foster a productive blind and visually impaired workforce. As we grew we kept learning, expanding and providing enriching opportunities for our associates, clients and community.
Today we are the largest employer of the blind and visually impaired, not just in Nebraska, but a 7-state region. We continue to produce tissue and towel products, along with hopes, dreams, accomplishments and futures.
Our mission is to positively impact everyone who is blind or visually impaired.
We do this through:
- Robust employment opportunities with plenty of room for advancement and success.
- Adaptive technology training that helps anyone who is blind or visually impaired learn how to use a computer, navigate a mobile device, try on digital eyewear and gain independence.
- Recreational programs that boost confidence and increase physical activity. Cultural experiences that enrich the lives of the visually impaired.
- Community education and collaborative programs that allow people to meet others with similar conditions, start conversations among loved ones and open a world of organizations that are here to help.
Every day, we are working toward:
- Lowering a staggering unemployment rate for the blind and visually impaired workforce.
- Continuing to knock down barriers for our clients and associates.
- Creating an environment that allows our clients to shed their fears and go for it.
- Building greater independence among those without sight or those losing their sight.
- Guiding those beginning their journey of self-discovery and self-reliance.
- Teaching our communities how to embrace those with varying needs.
- Connecting with other organizations who share our vision.
- Showing blind or visually impaired youth that anything is possible.
- Educating business leaders on inclusivity and workplace adaptability.
- Working with elected officials in creating more opportunities for the blind or visually impaired.
- Raising the quality of life for those with no vision or low vision.
Next week when you are giving back to our community, we encourage you to donate to Outlook Nebraska. We aspire to be the first place people in our community and beyond turn to when seeking resources that empower those who are blind or visually impaired.
We are here to provide answers, to deliver hope and to help those with vision impairments regain their confidence and live life to the fullest.